Saturday, March 3, 2007

It makes you wonder sometimes...

Some days it is a lot harder to be a mom than other days. Take today for example. The girls woke up at 6am again (the joys of having them in the same room) and it went downhill from there. Not to say we didn't have fun moments, but I'll just vent and get it all out. Katie is teething yet again. I think her top molars are trying to poke their way through. She has NEVER been good at dealing with pain and teething is one of the worst for her. She was up last night a couple times and I could not for the life of me get her to take her afternoon nap. She fell asleep out of boredom from being in her crib, I think. She has the runny nose and the fever and the grumpiness- not a good combination. Ellie decided she was going to boycott her nap (again- I'm lucky if I get 2 or 3 naps a week with her now) and was the means of waking Katie up early from the nap I FINALLY got her to take this afternoon. Needless to say both girls were exhausted the rest of the day and would not leave each other alone. Having two kids gives life quite a different dynamic! Ellie whined and Katie cried. Ellie had two accidents within an hour this morning after going two whole days dry. There are just some days I really wonder if what I'm doing is making any kind of difference. It's a good thing I have my parents here to help out. I'm not sure I could survive this alone!

But on a more positive note- Katie is almost walking. She took about 5 steps yesterday walking between Mom and me. Then today she was brave enough to let go of furniture and walk about 5 steps to me. She's moving faster with this than I thought she would. I think she'll be happier walking, but it makes me nervous about her toddling along on hardwood floors with her big sister running around her. I guess that's why babies are made out of rubber? Oh- and I'm looking for book ideas for Katie's birthday. So, if you have any favorites, I'd love to hear them!

Ellie got a new pair of shoes today, which she is very excited about (she gets that from her aunts Carrie and Cynthia). We had gotten her and Katie matching sundresses and Ellie was concerned that she didn't have shoes to match yet. So that was our outing of the day with her. And I was able to get a couple more maternity shirts as well. It's amazing to me how big I'm getting with this baby. All the sudden my belly just popped!

And the best part of the day, as usual, was my conversation with Steve. He is finally feeling better after getting a bad cold and things are starting to fall into place with work. It makes me happy when he is happy. It's great that we get to talk on the phone so much. It makes it feel like he isn't quite so far away. Three weeks down...

So, one more day in the life of Tiff and the girls. I guess the most frustrating thing about Katie being so grumpy is that we had FINALLY gotten past all that. The 6 months of colic was enough to drive all of us insane. We finally found happy Katie, so the revival of grumpy Katie is a little hard to handle.

And now you've had the rantings of Tiff. This will all be water under the bridge by tomorrow, but for now it felt really good to get it out.

3 comments:

geoffrey said...

it is great to hear anything from tiffany from so far away! since we almost never get to see the kids, we love to hear the good and the frustrating. you are a super-duper mother!

jmelgan said...

I have heard the sisters at church talk about how great teething tablets work for teething.

Also, here are some books my family likes:

I love you, little one by: Nancy Tafuri

Goodnight Moon by: Margaret Wise Brown

Whose Mouse Are You? by: Robert Kraus

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by: Eric Carle

Love you Forever by: Robert Munsch

Oh! The Places You Will Go by: Dr Suess

I recently heard from someone at church that Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Suess is good too.

erin sheely said...

ohhhh tiffany. i know that days like this are just...well, too much. and there is nothing to do but pray that bedtime comes soon. i hope your next few days have been better. being a mom is tough work.