Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas Fun

I guess I should at least make mention of Christmas on here. I had taken Ellie out shopping a couple days prior so she could pick out a couple gifts for her sisters. In the future we'll probably have her make the gifts or earn the money to buy the gifts, but I didn't think that far ahead this year! She was cute picking out the gifts, though. I could just hear the wheels turning as she figured out which gifts she could give her sisters that she would enjoy playing with as well. She even got to wrap the presents all by herself. I was impressed at how well she did, too.


We had an awesome time Christmas morning. My goal this year was to give the girls a Christmas full of things that would induce creativity and get their imagination running. We started out with our new homemade stockings (by me- I'm so excited to finally have matching stockings). They got some "Baby Loves Jazz" book/cd combos that they love to listen to. And they received items like scrubs which I made along with a medical kit. Mom got Katie her very own baby doll with a homemade blanket and pillow. They also got a full fairy costume including fairy wings, silk gloves, homemade tutu's by Grandma, fairy wands and sparkle slippers. Both girls have lived in those outfits ever since Christmas. We invited the Smith's to come enjoy the present opening and they brought the girls the cutest cat and dog that had baby kittens/puppies in them. My goal of a small Christmas was thwarted, but in the end I felt completely pleased with what the girls received and don't feel like I gave just to give. It was fun to watch their excitement and watch their wardrobes change as each wearable gift was opened. Steve was awesome and completely spoiled me this year. The back massager was definitely a hit with my brothers and sisters (and me, of course!). There were so many other fun gifts like the universal remote for Mom and Dad's system that alleviates 5 remotes downstairs. I think that was definitely a hit! We just had a wonderful time enjoying the gifts of giving.

The best part came when Carrie, Geoff and Emily, and Troy, Rachel, Sally, Daniel, Ethan and Amelia arrived. I love having family around. The kids got along wonderfully and we stayed up too late, got up too early and ate too much good food- the perfect family gathering :) We started a new tradition of eating chocolate fondue one night while we're together and that's one tradition we will definitely continue. The time passed too quickly and it was sad to see everyone go.

We got a special treat today when Troy called up and asked if we wanted to go to the Children's Museum here in town with him and the family (they've been spending the majority of their vacation in a town about 45 minutes from here with Rachel's parents). Of course! The kids had a really good time there. Troy and Rachel have such great kids. I am truly impressed.

This time of year it's easy to remember the Savior and the importance of family and to be truly grateful for the wonderful gifts we have been given. Now we've reached 2008 and we can't wait to have Steve back with us soon!

2 comments:

jmelgan said...

That is so neat you were able to make the stockings and little outfits for the girls (they look better than store bought!) I enjoyed looking at the pictures too. Merry Christmas

erin sheely said...

how fun!! wow are you ever the seamstress!!! that is sooo awesome. you have to come live by me so you can teach me how to sew.