Sunday, April 15, 2007

Enrichment success

Okay, so we had the coolest Enrichment activity a few weeks ago. It was a "service auction." Here's how it worked- any sister that wanted to could donate a service. There were things like home made cakes, cookies, blankets, makeovers, housecleaning, babysitting, tutoring, etc... anything that the sister had a talent in and thought that someone might enjoy receiving. Each of these items were put on a card and placed up front for the sisters to peruse before the evening began. As we walked in the door we received a number and a questionnaire. The questions were things like: I brushed my teeth this morning- 5 points. I went on a mission- 10 points. I read my scriptures today- 10 points. I have an empty nest- 5 points. Something along those lines anyway. There were probably 25-30 questions like that. You got points according to what you could answer affirmatively to. I think I ended up with around 200 points. Well, then the fun began. We had an auctioneer that ran the show (an unbiased brother) and he ran it like a regular auction. Your points were your money and you bid on these services. It got to be hilarious, watching these sisters duke it out! I won a jar of homemade jam, a baby blanket and a 2-hour sewing lesson. Not bad! I was quick with raising that number of mine and bidding. It really was fun, and all the sisters- of all ages- really got into it. Plus, what greater way to serve your sisters- especially ones you might not even know very well. It ended up being funny and exciting, but also inspiring as some sisters would win an item and donate it to another sister. I highly recommend this activity!

The sister that gave the sewing lesson is the mother of a good friend of mine that I grew up with, Taylor Dawson. So not only did I get a sewing lesson, but I got to catch up on where her kids are and she did the same. The item I decided to sew was a hooded towel. It was initially intended to be made for this new baby on the way, but in the end we decided that Ellie had grown out of her hooded towel and she would appreciate it more- so she has inherited it. Well I must say- this towel turned out AWESOME!!!! Sister Dawson has an embroidery machine and we picked out the cutest little butterfly to go along with the trim we had found for the towel. I can't tell you how pleased I am with how it turned out. And now if I want to make another towel, I know what to do! It was most definitely a huge success.

I took Ellie to my dad's jazz band concert on Friday night. We had gone to another of his concerts awhile back and there were two things Ellie remembered about that night. First and foremost- she got a sucker. Second, she got to play the drums. So that's all she could talk about once she found out we were going. So at this concert she got her sucker and played the drums. She did great this time, too. We made it all the way until the last 2 songs- impressive. I remember when I was little that I didn't last too long. We'd be out in the hallways running and sliding on benches... having a great time. But the greatest thing about it is that we still heard the music and have a great appreciation for live music. Even just the smell of Presser Hall brings back those memories. It's interesting how something as insignificant as the smell of a building can bring back a million memories, huh? I love going to those concerts and I hope Ellie learns to feel the same way.

Last but most definitely not least, I forgot to mention that Diane (Steve's sister) had her baby, Alexandra Evalyn Witzel on April 6th. She was 3 weeks early and weighed 7 pounds 4 ounces and measured 19 inches long. She is a gorgeous little baby. Congratulations to the Witzel family! Alexandra is the first of 3 in our family that are expected within the month. Rachel and I have the exact same due date (May 8th). We'll see who wins ;-) All I know is that the baby dropped yesterday and I'm feeling quite uncomfortable and ready to be done!

2 comments:

erin sheely said...

i LOVE the hooded towel!!! lila has an embroidery machine and i take advantage of it all the time. hurray for a new towel!

tom said...

Sounds like a fun activity!