Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tricare and Fort Riley Medicine STINK!!!

Yeah, I had a horrible experience today. I was actually excited about going to the doctor today to meet my new doctor- who was supposed to be Dr. Leyba. My old doctor just left, so he gave me a couple recommendations and I chose her. I for sure didn't want Dr. Charles, who delivered Katie and left me in pain for a year until Sarah was born (I think I mentioned before). So anyway... we were all out running errands together this afternoon and Katie fell asleep on the way home. I figured it would be a usual 15-minutes in-and-out appointment, so I had Steve and the girls come with me so Katie could stay asleep in the van. Well, I get checked in and wait for 1/2 hour to see my doctor. Finally a nurse comes and asks if I would be willing to just see Dr. Charles (apparently Leyba was held up with a patient). Bad news #1. I figured it was just a routine OB, so I went ahead and agreed, knowing that Steve was in the van probably with three very squirrely girls. She comes in, looks at my chart and asked how I was doing on weight gain. I told her I was around 35 pounds (yes, the truth comes out) and she gasped and told me that was much too much weight. As if I'm not already self-conscious about how enormous this belly is of mine. So she tells me I need to make sure I watch what I eat. Gee... thanks. She measured me and everything was right on and the heartrate was at around 130, which she said was fine. Appointment is over and I go to make an appointment with Dr. Leyba in 2 weeks. Here comes bad news #2. Oh, her soonest appointment is January 21st. I was supposed to be scheduled for my c-section January 20th. Great. So then she starts searching for any available doctor in 2 weeks and it took her forever to find someone. She found Dr. Mason, who is a civilian and has been practicing for like 35 years or so. And I honestly don't care who my doctor is as long as he/she is competent. But since I won't see him for 2 weeks, I have no idea what day he does surgeries, so I have no clue when my c-section might be now. And then the bad news #3 is that I believe Dr. Charles assists on his c-sections. I don't want that woman near me. An hour later I finally leave the hospital and poor Steve is just done- and I don't blame him one bit. So my great day of shopping with Steve and the girls (and we did have fun) was ruined by this horrid experience. Now I'm feeling depressed and anxious and scared and uncertain about my future. Dumb Army medicine.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Tiffany, I am so sorry! That does sound horrible. I don't think I remember the story of Katie's birth, just that Erin told me is was horrible. I hope that everything works out for you and you can get the c-section date you want!

Horn Family said...

I am so sorry to hear that. One thing that I have learned about Army Medicine is that you need to stick up for yourself and not let them tell you. There is a website to show you how to get around tricare and their lovely appointments so that you aren't waiting forever to be seen! I will look it up in the information that they gave me when Lim came back. This lady came and told us there are ways around tricare and to get the appointments when you need them you just have to go onto this website and learn. I totally understand that feeling. That is why I went with a c-section with Alma instead of going v-back. The doctor was a huge jerk! He assisted and was the one holding my stomach open as the other doctor was cutting and he was yanking my stomach apart I was bruised clear up to my ribs! My whole stomach was black and blue! It was horrible! Just make sure you tell them that you don't want that doctor anywhere near you!!! I would also put in a complaint. I am so sorry that you are going through this. Not fun at all! We'll keep you in our prayer! : )