Monday, April 6, 2020

You are Special

Funny story.  The other day Ryan asked for hot cocoa and Steve said yes.  As is normal, the other kids saw this and wanted some as well.  Steve said no.  Only Ryan could have it.  Why? Because he was special.  All day long they kept asking.  But nope- only Ryan, because he was special.  Fast forward 2 days.  Steve gave Evelyn permission to have some hot cocoa.  She was enjoying her sweet treat as I was working at the dining room table.  She looked over at me and and announced, "I am special."  She has a very high self esteem, so I just smiled and agreed.  But then I remembered!  Yes- she was special because she got to have hot cocoa.  So if ever you need a pick-me-up and to remember that you are special, have a mug of hot cocoa and see what it does for you!

Awhile back Ryan was being mean to Tommy.  Tommy has a very sensitive heart and he came in very upset.  I asked what we should do to make it better.  "Should I go beat him up?"  Tommy got a huge grin on his face and agreed with that suggestion.  I marched into their room where Ryan was reading in bed.  I announced I was going to beat him up and continued to air box him. "Jab, jab, upper cut, jab."  Both boys started cracking up and it dispelled all anger and hurt from the room. 

Then the other day Tommy came in crying because he had spilled lemonade on the trampoline.  That was fine with me, just clean it up.  He said he did, but that Ryan yelled at him for spilling.  I asked what we should do.  Should I go get mad at him?  With a huge grin, Tommy agreed.  I walked outside and yelled to Ryan, "I am so mad at you!"  He looked at me with big eyes and then realized what was happening and started laughing.  After understanding just how mad I was (there might have been a lot of giggles from Ryan and Tommy), I was able to go back inside and Tommy felt much better. 

This past weekend was General Conference.  It was wonderful.  Don't know if it's because of life right now in the middle of isolation, if it's where my heart (and health) are right now, but it was just what I needed for a spiritual boost.  I felt God's love and I absolutely felt the love of our prophet, President Russell M. Nelson.  I was sad when it was over.  The Hosanna shout was really neat and I loved being able to do that with the whole family.  I really felt the Spirit as we sang "The Spirit of God" and am so grateful to be part of a church where we can commune together, even though we are all separate.  What a wonderful weekend! 

Covid-19 is still making a mess of life.  We are moving into our third full week of online school with the kids.  Ellie is in her first full week for the High School.  I think it's getting better.  I feel less stressed about getting it all done.  The teachers are being very forgiving and I think my kids are amazing- they pretty much take care of everything on their own.  There are days I kind of wander around, not knowing what I can do to help!  I am very proud of them. 

Here are some numbers, just for an FYI for me...
Covid-19
Orange County: 2,795 cases     76 deaths
Highlands (includes WP) 29 cases
NY State: 131,239 cases           4,758 deaths
United States: 367,461 cases    10,910 deaths         

The governor has extended the order to isolate until at least April 29th.  I'm guessing it'll be longer.  But we're doing our part and sticking around our home!  Thankfully West Point is a very safe bubble and I'm happy to be here!

No comments: