Thursday, August 31, 2017

New School Year 2017

School has started back up here in North Carolina.  We have 6 kids in school this year, which is just crazy to me!  And oh, the bus.  Last year buses caused great stress in my life.  That middle school bus was my undoing.  I moaned and groaned over how frustrated I was about that situation.  It was NEVER consistent about what time it would show up.  Technically, it was a 6:42 bus time.  But, from day to day it would show up anywhere between 6:28-6:50.  Can I tell you how stressful that is for me?  Since the bus stop is a few blocks away, I was not comfortable having Ellie walk alone in the dark.  So I would drive her over and wait for the bus.  Far too often we would realize we had missed the bus and would chase that stinkin' bus all over the route.  Typically we would have to leave the neighborhood to go find it.  Then I had to rush back and get Tommy to his bus stop a block away.  Then I would rush back to get the rest of the kids ready and out the door to their bus stop.  So much morning stress!  I wrote a letter a few weeks ago requesting they move all 3 stops to the intersection at the head of our street (a few houses from us).  I was summarily ignored and everything remained the same.  Well, today we pulled out the military card and requested some changes be made.  Did you know that public schools get government money for having military kids attend?  Apparently it's a pretty significant chunk of change, which is supposed to help support the military kids.  I totally used that today and so far I've had success with one bus.  Anna's bus will now come to the same intersection as the elementary school.  Now we just need to get that middle school bus to cooperate.  We won't let it go this year.  We will take it as high as it needs to go to get change.  Here's hoping it happens sooner than later (I have every confidence we will make it happen- it's just a matter of when).

But otherwise- so far, so good.  Ellie and Katie seem to be doing great with Middle School.  Ellie said band and jazz band were a bit stressful the first couple days, as it was all very new to her.  But I think she's getting the hang of it and once she is comfortable she will really enjoy herself.  In band they started her out on mallets, but apparently he moved her over to the keyboard to play the tuba part?  He has a keyboard that can play any instrument, so she's supplementing tuba.  I find that quite amusing.  Then in jazz band she is playing the piano with another girl.  They are splitting the bass and treble parts, as both girls are at fairly beginner levels.  It'll be a great way for her to really pick up piano quickly.  Katie loves being in middle school.  She is transitioning amazingly well.  It helps that she has friends in her classes and feels confident in what she is doing.  I love seeing how excited she is to follow in Ellie's footsteps.  They pick out their clothes together, make their lunches together, have coordinating binders, the same shoes (with school uniforms it's hard to get too original), and get to ride the bus together.  It really is fun to watch.

Anna is doing great so far with Kindergarten.  The way the school started out the year was quite creative.  On Monday, half of each Kinder class went to school and learned the ropes.  Then Tuesday the other half attended.  Today was the first day the full classes met.  This allowed the kids the opportunity to learn everything without the full class, which is great for the teachers, I'm sure!  I admit, I'm still a little nervous, but I think Anna will do okay.  After the open house the week before I was really concerned about Anna.  I almost cried multiple times as my confident girl closed farther and farther into herself as we met her teacher, the principle, the guidance, counselor, etc.  She even asked me to pick her up at one point.  She clearly felt out of her element there.  I was convinced I would cry big tears as I put her on the bus that first day.  But when she walked right up and onto the bus without a care, I knew she would be amazing and I only felt a small twinge of sadness and a big feeling of proud for that girl.  Sure, that first day as she was coming off the bus, the driver told me that Anna was having a hard time being willing to share her seat.  But I just smiled and said we would talk about it.  We do a lot of talking with Anna about making good choices.  But today (her 2nd day of school) Anna proudly got off the bus and told me she shared her seat.  It made me very proud of her and excited that she is finding worth in making others happy and following directions.  I hope that's happening in the classroom as well.  Anna is such a sweetheart, but with just a lot of personality and opinions.  If she puts her mind to it, that kid will conquer the world!

Tommy, Ryan and Sarah have great teachers this year.  Tommy is my sweetheart, and he has the sweetest teacher this year.  I know he will feel loved and that is perfect for him.  Ryan's teacher seems spunky and excited about her students, which is exactly what Ryan needs.  He tends to be really hard on himself, so he needs a cheerleader that will give him that positive reinforcement.  Sarah has the same teacher that Katie had last year and I really liked her.  I think Sarah will excel this year.  She has a positive attitude about school and loves to be a helper, which leads to teachers adoring her.

Evelyn is a little out of sorts.  Today was a rough day for her.  I think that being home alone is a little disconcerting.  She's had playmates all summer long and being here alone with me just doesn't feel right to her!  I'm hoping we can get into a good rhythm and really enjoy each other.  She is just so much fun to be around!

The biggest thing around here is Steve being bishop.  What a big responsibility!  It's been only 1 1/2 weeks and already he's deep in the mire.  Dealing with callings and welfare and have been the biggest things so far.  I know Steve will do his best and will be blessed in this calling.  I have every confidence that he will do his best to follow the Lord's will.  It'll be neat to watch him grow in this calling.  It was a late night tonight, though.  He didn't get home until 11:00!  I was already in bed, so after waking up and chatting for a bit, I'm wide awake and thought this a great opportunity to get some things written down!

Our fridge went out 2 weeks ago and still isn't fixed.  We had someone come do a diagnostic, order parts, and repairmen showed up today to fix the fridge, only find out that the first guy mis-diagnosed the issue.  So they have to order more parts and they're saying another 2 weeks before they can come back and fix it!  I'm grateful we have 2 fridges out in the garage to compensate for what we're missing inside!  We are all definitely ready to have the food a little more accessible, though.

I guess it's time for me to make some goals for this school year.  Since Evelyn still takes naps, I have a few hours a day to get things done.  This is something I'll really ponder on and see what I come up with.

No comments: