Monday, September 19, 2011

Sarah add-on

The kids get "marks" for doing good things around the house. For example: if they do something nice for a sibling without being asked. Or for cleaning a room that is not part of their assignment. Or even doing their chores without being big ol' grumps. They get 25 cents for each mark they earn. So if they do a lot of good stuff, they can earn quite a bit of money. We hadn't paid them since we moved from Illinois, so Ellie made $20 this time! We've never had that before.

Anyway... with that money they pay tithing, fast offering if they'd like (help the poor people), and then the rest is theirs to spend as they would like. We usually try to find a store with quarter slot candy machines because it's very rewarding. This time we took them to the commissary and let them pick out candy from the pick-a-mix. Oh, what a joyous occasion for them! Even Ryan had money that he earned and could spend.

Our rules: gum has to be chewed outside. I am tired of finding gum in very difficult places. And we keep their candy up high so that there isn't snitching from each other. Well, I had confiscated the candy Saturday afternoon because of some fighting that was happening (sugar high had ended?) I went outside to do something and when I came in, I heard the kids upstairs talking about their candy and I heard candy wrappers opening up. I warned them, "you know that no candy is allowed upstairs and if I catch you- you will be in trouble!" And in true Sarah fashion, "quick, hide the candy before Mom comes up."

I guess I did say if I caught them...

No comments: