Friday, August 22, 2008

Worst Mom of the Year Award

That is what I felt I deserved on Wednesday. I took Ellie and Katie over to Topeka (an hour away) to see the dentist. I drove all the way there because I had a great reference for a Pediatric Dentist, and I had a horrible experience with a dentist here in the area. So we were up early and out the door before 8am. I knew Ellie had one spot on her teeth that had probably progressed into a cavity. Well, she was a champ getting her teeth cleaned. She thought being in the big chair was very cool. The only reason I took Katie was to get her tooth checked out that she injured a couple months ago. The dentist said it looked fine and not to worry. Well, then the dentist told me the verdict on Ellie. I couldn't believe it- 3 crowns and one cavity filled. Yikes! I was dumbfounded. We try our best to take care of those teeth, too. No fruit snacks anymore, brush extremely well each night and even use a fluoride rinse every night to keep them strong. Obviously to no avail. I was seriously devastated. That wasn't the worst part. We took a 2 hour break (they were able to get us an appointment that afternoon to get the work done so we didn't have to drive back) and then they got to work. I was not allowed back in the room with her, but I thought she would do just fine. Well, an hour later they came and got me. This is when I knew I was the worst mom EVER. They had done the filling and Ellie did great. But it was time for the crowns and Ellie wanted nothing to do with it. I guess she was pulling at the instruments and squirming and making it impossible to work on her. So the dentist wanted to know if they could use a restraining blanket on her. Okay- so I'm crying now just thinking about it. I just about lost it there as well. Of course I consented, because she needed it done and the nitrous oxide wasn't doing anything to calm her down. Another hour later I was called back and there was little Ellie with a very numb cheek and the most sad face I've ever seen. How could I put my little girl through that? Who lets their child's teeth get that bad by age 4? So yeah, still beating myself up about it.

Amazingly Ellie has recovered like a champ. We got her some Ibuprofin and by the time she took the hour-long catnap on the ride home (we didn't get back until almost 5pm) she was back to her old self and hasn't complained since. She talked of soreness that evening at dinner, but nothing else. We joke about how she got crowns on her teeth instead of on her head like most princesses. She thinks that's funny. I never got my first cavity until I was 27, so this is all so unfamiliar and... sad. My poor metal-mouthed girl.

So yeah, not the kind of award I was hoping for this week, but I will accept it dutifully and do my best to try and not let it happen again.

6 comments:

The Olsen Clan said...

Oh Tiffany. Don't be so hard on yourself. Some people just are born with teeth that are more prone to problems. It sounds like you are doing everything (and more) to prevent. That must have been a rough day for you. That's one of those days where the only thing Pollyanna-ish to say is "I'm glad it's over!"

Sarah said...

Tiffany-
I am TOTALLY one of those people who takes care of their own teeth like I am a freakin' dentist, but it doesn't matter...I still get cavities. Plus I don't even eat a lot of junk. *sigh* Try not to feel bad, just keep doing what you are doing. You are DEFINITELY a far cry from the worst mother of the year.

Whacky Wheelers said...

I have three crowns . . . one gold and two silver. Matthew brings the boys in the neighborhood over to me and says: "Mom, I want to show my friends your pirate treasures!" I open my mouth and the kids are in "awe" of the gold and silver . . . and can't wait to get some of their own! LOL!!

jmelgan said...

Yeah you never know what card you will get dealt when it comes to teeth. My two middle sisters had lots of cavities as kids and my older siblings did not get them well into 30s.

My friend Julie's daughter had seven cavities recently! She took her daughter to a place called bearable dentistry, where the kids are sleeping during the procedure. I never heard of it before, but it sounded like a good idea to me.

erin sheely said...

Oh I'm so sorry!!! I would have cried too. I hate teeth. But see, she's already over it! You'll have to work alot harder than taht to get the worst mom of the year award. ;)

Horn Family said...

I totally understand how you felt! When Malachi had to get his teeth done and they had to pull one tooth and have two crowns put on yeah not so much fun. It is hard to see our children in pain or having to be restrained! Malachi didn't have the blanket but when he woke up from the sleepy juice he was angry and not a happy camper! Those days are not fun but you get the Mother of the Year Award because you took your daughter there to the dentist and stuck it out all day practically! Your Awesome!!!!