Friday, June 20, 2014

Katie's ailments

I have other drafts in the works, but thought I'd add this.

I'm doing this on my phone- I may have to go back in and fix later.  Hmmm- my picture didn't work. I'll add that soon.

Katie's leg on day 2 of her ailment
We have had a roller coaster of a couple days. Yesterday Katie woke up with pain in her knee. She couldn't bend it and it was extremely swollen. We took her to the clinic after lunch and they decided to send her up to Osan (where my cousin Suzy is) to have the pediatric ortho doctor check her out. I got in the ambulance for transfer (more of a converted minivan here), Steve went house hunting and the rest of the kids went home with a sister in the branch I had only known through Facebook (thank you for saving the day, FB). We left Camp Humphreys at about 3pm. After seeing multiple doctors, getting blood tests and a whole lot of waiting we were discharged at 7:00. The diagnosis was bursitis and they prescribed ibuprofen and an ace bandage to keep the swelling down.  We had to take a shuttle bus back down to Humphreys and the next one didn't leave until 8:10, so Katie and I got some Chili's to-go. Yes- the Air Force has a Chili's on their base. Not fair!!

This morning we had to head back up to Osan for a re-check with Dr. Finkbone. Yes- that's really his name. How could he not go into ortho?

Anyway- that sweet sister who took care of my kids last night drove the kids and me back up to Osan- about a 30-45 minute drive, depending on traffic. (Steve was in Seoul for a work meeting and to pick up our van).  Katie got a clean bill of health and we were sent on our way. I did notice some bumps on her leg, but thought the compression bandage had just blown some capillaries.

Fast forward 4 hours and her leg was looking tons worse- like the picture. I called the doctor here and she said to come back in for more tests. So- they did a strep test, Lyme disease test and urinalysis to rule out possibilities.

This is a very small clinic. I had all 6 kids and we were quite popular. Anyway- one of the nurses saw her leg, took a pic and showed her boss, who, while serving as a flight surgeon here in Korea, is actual a pediatrician. He knew right away what it was.

Katie had an autoimmune reaction known as Henoch Schonlein Purpura, or HSP. Basically her body decided to fight itself and this is how it manifested. I read that it can last up to a month before symptoms go away. So, she has been prescribed ibuprofen and just to wait it out.

I'm grateful that it was nothing worse and as long as there are no complications, all will be well.

Whew- Korea has been rough so far medically for our family!  A serious stomach bug plaguing us for the first week and now this.

We are hoping to choose a house tomorrow and will let you know.

Advice- should we pick a house because it has great neighbors and a so-so house, or a great house with unknown neighbors?  I can't decide!


update:
We chose the house with the amazing neighbors and I couldn't be happier.
Katie had 2 days of severe stomach cramping (more symptoms) and the rash went away within those 2 days. 
She will be seen for the next year to get her blood pressure checked and do a urinalysis to be sure her kidneys were not affected, which is another possible side effect of HSP.  First it was once a week, now we're at twice a month and then it will go to every 2 months.  They will get to know us well at that clinic!

No comments: